Monday, July 18, 2011

Review: Bleak House


Bleak House
Bleak House by Charles Dickens

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This is the first Dickens work I actually read and I liked it very much. It's much more cynic and satiric than what I expected, but I suppose building an expectation of Dickens from watching "A Christmas Carol" wasn't reasonable.

The story is peculiar due to him having two narrators, the first person narrator Esther Summerson, and an omnipresent third person that is strictly descriptive and can't access the internal thoughts of the characters. This device brings an interesting and amusing style in which the description of events from the two narrators rarely overlap, and yet is synergistic.

This two-narrator system also allows the author to have two different themes. Esther Summerson tells the story of her life while the narrator describes a incredibly long and bureaucratic equity case dealing with inheritance, and the ruin that it caused to the people attached to it.

Dickens in this book is very precise with words and, while being excessively descriptive, manages to avoid being boring, at least in my opinion. I haven't read much of his work to know if it's his best book, but I certainly recommend it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment