Sunday, February 12, 2017

Issues with RAM incompatibility with Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

I was having a few issues with a new desktop build and I figured the hive mind might be interested in the solution for this annoying problem. TL:DR the issue was some sort of incompatibility between the RAM and the rest of the setup and buying new RAM solved the problem. More specifically the build was conflicting with a version of a two-stick Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) and a faster version of it solved the problem. The base configuration of the build was a

Intel Core i5-7500 on a

Asrock Z270 Killer SLI/AC motherboard with a

Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2A2133C13.

Booting the build, all I got was the dreaded NO POST - no beeps*, no warnings, nothing in the screen. Thinking that I either had a damaged mobo (more likely) or a fried processor (rare), I inspected the processor socket of the mother looking for bent pins, which I understand is a common issue. Nothing wrong there.

I tried to check if the build would complain about a lack of memory - a sign that the processor and mobo are fine and the processor is having issues with the memory. Sure enough, I heard three long beeps from the motherboard complaining that there was no memory. Curiously, I could hear the processor fan speed oscillating, as if the processor got stuck in a cycle of trying to start, failing, shutting down and restarting.

At this point I had a build that wouldn't POST and would go silent with memory but beep three times without memory. I figured there was some issues with the memory. Going to the Asrock website, I found a list of testede RAMs and put on a Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2B3200C16. The computer booted fine and found the glorious 16GB of RAM.

Seems rather odd that this happen and I have no real explanation. Maybe someone smarter than me can tell me went down. I wish this didn't happen because I ended up paying $30 more for the RAM but oh well.

*The Asrock Z270 doesn't have a speaker for the motherboard but has a pinout for it. So to figure out for beeps, I had to add a motherboard speaker which is < $5.